Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Christmas Stocking Tutorial and Pattern

Its that time of year when people start to think about Christmas so I thought I would share a Christmas Stocking tutorial. This is a really quick and easy tutorial that would suit beginner sewers. Make a gorgeous Christmas Stocking out of your favourite fabrics! 

We stock a selection of fabulous funky Christmas fabrics on the Sew Scrumptious website here. The Stockings are fully lined and would make great gifts!


You will need
One fat quarter of main fabric (patterned)
One fat quarter of lining fabric (plain white fabric is fine)
A small amount of contrasting fabric for Stocking Cuff (spotty fabrics always looks good)
A small amount of ribbon (my gorgeous spotty ribbon is from Jane Means. You can find a huge selection on their website here
A button

You can download and print out the free pattern from the Sew Scrumptious website here. Match up the arrows and stick the two A4 pieces of paper together using sellotape before cutting out your 2 pattern pieces. You should have a main stocking pattern and a stocking cuff pattern.





Fold the main fat quarter in half and cut out 2 stocking shapes from the main fabric and then 2 from the lining fabric. 


Stocking cuff - cut 2 pieces on the fold of the fabric. 


Place the long edge of the stocking cuff face down on the top of one of the main stocking pieces and sew along the top using a 3/8" seam allowance. Repeat with the other side of the cuff but sew on to a lining stocking piece. You should end up with a piece of fabric as shown below. Press the seams to the middle. Make sure that the foot pieces are facing the same way. Repeat with the remaining pieces of fabric.




Place the two pieces face down on top of each other (patterns facing) and pin all the way around. Start at the base of the lining foot and sew around the foot, up the leg, around the other foot and down to the bottom of the lining foot again. Make sure you leave a small turning gap in the bottom of the lining foot.


Trim the fabric all the way around using pinking sheers to prevent fraying and reduce bulk.



 Pull the main stocking fabric through the gap in the lining foot and turn everything inside out so the right sides are now showing and press. Sew up the turning gap.



Push the lining fabric back inside the main fabric until the lining 'foot' is neatly inside the main stocking foot and everything is nice and neat. It should look like this at the top.


  
Fold over the stocking cuff and work out where you want your hanging loop. Add a loop of ribbon and a button for decoration on the inside of the stocking. The stitching will be hidden on the back by the stocking cuff.


To personalise the stocking, just add a name or initials to the stocking cuff. Just make sure that you place them on the right way so that when you turn the cuff down the letters are the right way up. You also need to think about which way you want the stocking foot to face.


Here is the finished article ready to hang on the mantelpiece!


These are some that I made last year! You can add little bells to the back of the stocking cuff if you like or how about a little pocket for a note to Santa? The possibilities are endless!




If you make a stocking using this pattern, please send me a photo. I would LOVE to see them! 

UPDATE: 2016 We have just made a little video showing you just how easy it is to make a stocking. Please subscribe to our You Tube video channel. We will be posting lots more videos very soon. 



Happy Sewing!

23 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! I'm going to try your way of doing it....I've been using the FabricWorm pattern....here's what mine look like....

    http://noraathome.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/christmas-has-started.html

    Hope you are OK.....keep seeing you plugging Little Dresses...well done you! So many people have heard of them now thanks to you, keep up the good work xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll pop over and have a look at yours!! x

      Delete
  2. Fab tutorial, thanks for posting this x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect ,this is just what I have been looking for. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya.... I am not sure wherei have gone wrong but I can see the raw edge of my
    Iining any tips for next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure where you have gone wrong I'm afraid. If you want to send me a photo I'll try and work out what has gone wrong!

      Delete
  5. I have made 5 stockings using your pattern, also used your method on tote wine bags and other things that needed lining.
    Fantastic method Thank You so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic way to line bags and lots of other stuff.
    I have made xmas stocking and they were so easy.
    So Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning
    I have just made a stocking (not very xmasy but what I had to hand) and im really chuffed with it. Have never made anything other than a pillowcase dress before, will get the judges views later from my 5 year old and 3 year old. Thank you so much for the tutorial. Will try to send a pic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made my first Christmas stocking ever. It is just gorgeous - self-praise an' all that - but it is. I made it for my brand new nephew. He is five months old but we are not over the novelty yet. He too is gorgeous so my stocking will be very apropriate! Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it okay to use an overlock stitch around the edges instead of cutting with pinking sheets? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Yes you can overlock around the edge rather than use pinking shears. It would probably be fine not doing anything to be honest if you want to save time!

      Delete
  10. Would it be okay to use an overlock stitch instead of cutting with pinking sheers? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, so simple. I'm going to scale the pattern down a little and make them for my friends and use them to give them their presents in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome tutorial! I made a blog post about my adventure making them!! http://woldringsknits.blogspot.com/2014/11/diy-christmas-stockings.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pattern but for some reason I'm not able to find the link to print out the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! Am thrilled that I will have quilted stockings on my mantel this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This tutorial was so simple! Thank you :)
    /Users/nicolesperlunto/Desktop/stockings.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your tutorial. I made a stocking, believe it not even after 30 years of sewing. I found this to be very easy, quick & I'll be making more. Not sure where to show you what I made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the button detail. I will be using this to make stockings this year for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the pattern and tutorial, I was looking for a stocking just this shape and with the cuff. Your directions were easy to follow, I just added the hem allowance around the patten as I cut as the pattern was the final size I was aiming for! (I had plenty of fabric to do so!) such a simple way of adding in the cuff that I would never have thought of on my own!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!