Monday, 21 October 2013

Lace Edge Zips

Coats Crafts have recently launched a limited edition range of decorative Lace Edge Opti Zips with matching Coats Duet sewing threads. The zips are presented in 10 lovely colours and can be purchased by the metre rather than as a standard length. These zips are used on the outide of projects rather than the inside making the zip part of the design rather than trying to hid it! Coats very kindly asked if I would like to try some out and this is how the zips looked when they arrived. My zip had 2 zips pulls so I had enough for 2 different projects and came complete with matching pink thread.


I wanted to try making a washbag after seeing a tutorial for one a while ago. Typically I couldn't find the tutorial when I needed it so I kind of made it up as I went along! It took a few attempts and a little bit of unpicking to get it right!! I really like it though and it really shows off the zip nicely. Could be used as a make up bag or for a pouch for storing sewing goodies maybe?


This was a great opportunity to use up some of my lovely fabrics. I choose Tanya Whelan's 'Falling Roses' fabric for this project which you can find here


I also made a pretty little lined make up bag which was super quick and easy. The zip looks really pretty on the outside. I love that you are not limited by the size of your zip and can make your projects bigger or smaller depending on how you feel! This is made using Dashwood Studio's 'Petite Street - Flower' fabric which you can find here.

 

I lined it with some lovely spotty Michael Miller fabric. The co-ordinating pink thread worked a treat and is a perfect colour match. The zips were really easy to sew on.


There are so many things you could do with these pretty zips. They would look great on bags or clothes. Coats have a lovely tutorial on their website for using them to embellish a childs T Shirt. You can find it on the Coats Crafts website here.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Louise. I think I may have to have a look at these. Sew many possibilities to use them (excuse the pun)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab idea. I will have to try that! Thanks for sharing. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw pretty zips like these at ally pally last week, they are lovely and a great idea.
    Your makes are really nice.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone know where I can get some of these fab zips please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I'm not sure I'm afraid. You may be able to get them online on the Coats Crafts website. If not I'm sure they will point you in the direction of a stockist near you. x

      Delete
  5. Where can I get some of these fab zips? :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!