Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Fun at Paper Village

I spent an amazing couple of days at Paper Village in Bristol recently making dresses with the fabulous Vicky who owns the shop and lots of her lovely customers! Paper Village is an arts and crafts shop which sells just about everything you could need for all sorts of projects. Its like an Aladdins Cave of gorgeous things and such an inspiring space. Vicky also runs lots of different workshops at Paper Village from learning to sew courses, crochet, knitting, printing, felting, knicker making and everything inbetween. It was so lovely to get to know Vicky who is THE most enthusiastic, inspiring and lovely person. She runs lots of community arts projects from getting children to decorate their garden gates to crocheting an entire Hyperbolic Reef! She completely 'got' the 'Dress a Girl' project and the ethos behind it and was so motivated to make lots of dresses. Vicky likes to think big so set herself the target of making over 100 dresses over 4 days. I went along to help out on several of those days and met so many lovely people.

Vicky and her crocheted fish!









We even had men helping out!!

 


 


 












Some of the plainer fabrics has fabulous designs drawn on to them!




This is me below with one of the dresses I made. Thanks so much to Abakhan for their generous fabric donation.





The local news came and filmed us and Vicky very bravely made a dress live in front of the cameras!! You can find the news report here













I had an absolute blast and rediscovered my love of sewing dresses! The co-ordination of the charity means that I have little time to actually make any dresses anymore and it was such fun to sew again. A huge thanks to Vicky for all her hard work and enthusiasm. A big thanks to all who donated fabric and trimmings and to people who decorated fabric. Thanks to SESimons for donating reels of bias binding, The Co-op for teabags and biscuits and all the lovely people who came along to sew. So far Vickey has made 107 dresses with more to come. She is already planning next years dress making event and has a plan to knit the whole of Bristol! 

6 comments:

  1. What a fab space to work in - so colourful abd fun! Well done to all - the dresses are stunning! x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, what a fantastic effort - and gorgeous dresses! Well done, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, what a fantastic effort - and gorgeous dresses! Well done, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great place. It looks fantastic and colourful. Wonderful dresses.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel really bad I didn't come along - just too much on at the time. Looks a blast - recognise 2 of my friends in the pictures. Well done you! Cathx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Fantastic effort!!!! I saw your fb page re fabric near hounslow on the M3. I could easily get there by bus/train, as I don't drive. Please put me in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!