Friday, 14 June 2013

A story of 5,000 Dresses

A year or so ago I decided to make a dress for the 'Dress A Girl Around the World' charity in America. 

 MY DRESS!

I was not planning on doing anything more than making one dress. I roped in a few friends to make a few more dresses and then somehow I ended up co-ordinating the charity in the UK (still not quite sure how that happened!) Today I'm feeling pretty proud of what we have achieved in the UK because this week we reached the grand total of 


Yes 5,000 dresses!! In fact we have smashed the 5,000 target with the total number of dresses made by all you lovely people now being 5,392 dresses (and 527 pairs of shorts!). Not forgetting the bags, hairbands, bracelets, puppets and dolls that people have also made and sent.  A HUGE thank you to everyone who has made dresses, held events, blogged about us and to everyone who has distibuted dresses for us in over 21 different countries around the world.



GHANA 2012

We've also hit another milestone! We have now distributed over 4,000 dresses to girls living in poverty around the World.  Dresses have gone to Kenya, Ghana, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, The Phillipines, Burundi, Uganda, The Gambia, Malawi, South Africa, Goa, India, Peru, Nairobi, Zimbabwee, Sierra Leone, Zambia, Haiti, Bulgaria and Cameroon. Lots of dresses have been sent recently so we hope to have lots more lovely photos very soon. Watch this space!

GHANA 2012

 MALAWI 2011

We've had hundreds of people make dresses and lots of support from individuals, sewing cafes, WI groups, schools, colleges and guide groups with people of all ages coming together to sew from age 9 to age 92! We've had fantastic support from businesses too (Abakhan Fabrics and Sew La La particulaly who donated fabric to me). We even managed to help get 15 vintage Singer sewing machines to Uganda.
 
 UGANDA 2012

 GOA & KENYA 2012

SOUTH AFRICA 2013

We've been featured in lots of magazines including Sewing World, Craft Seller, Home Style Sewing, Simply Homemade, Do Crafts Creativity and Crafts Beautiful and on numerous blogs. We have features coming up soon in Sewing World, My Weekly and Woman's Own. We've even been featured on BBC's School Report.

 KATANGA SLUM - UGANDA

UGANDA

Dresses have been distributed by people all over the country to schools, baby homes, orphanages, villages and slums. There are some fantastic charities out there doing amazing work all over the world. This project has totally restored my faith in human nature and in the kindness and generosity of most people.

 MALAWI 2012

 UGANDA
 

We've had some amazing celebrity support on Twitter. RT's from Graham Norton, Claudia Winkleman, Ruth Langsford, Lauren Laverne, Emma Freud and  Emma Forbes have been amazing at getting the word out there and encouraging new people to get involved and is much appreciated. I'm still working on Kirsty Allsop!

 INDIA

UGANDA

We also made shorts for the boys!

 

Its been such an exciting journey. I've learnt lots and want the charity to go from strength to strength. We still need people to join in and make dresses and shorts. You can find lots more info on my blog here. There is also a facebook page here. Next stop is 10,000 dresses. Whose with me?? 

Happy Sewing!


18 comments:

  1. That is truly amazing what you do! I am totally amazed. Well done!! I wish I could sew because I would help make dresses and shorts and anything else, too! Seriously well done to you and everyone else!! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. You are doing a truly amazing job! I love looking at the pictures you post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise for President!! Absolutely amazing Louise. Reckon next thing you should do is have a party to celebrate! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to believe that what you set in motion such a short while ago has snow balled in such an amazing way. Over 5000 is truly wonderful. I haven't made any dresses for a while now, but having read your post, I am in the mood to make a few more. Thanks for all your hard work in organisng and making too - so many happy little faces out there. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Here's to continued success and more pretty dresses for little girls all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing thing to do x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so brilliant! I'd love to get involved although I'm not much of a sewer? X

    http://hipslikecinders.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely with you! Amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely brilliant, Louise!!!

    Well done to you, and all your helpers who so faithfully make the dresses and the shorts. I know the ones which went to Kyehimba schoolin Uganda were so gratefully received.
    THANK YOU for the time, energy and effoet you give freely to help those unable to help themselves. Greetings from North Wales.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely brilliant, Louise!!!

    Well done to you, and all your helpers who so faithfully make the dresses and the shorts. I know the ones which went to Kyehimba schoolin Uganda were so gratefully received.
    THANK YOU for the time, energy and effoet you give freely to help those unable to help themselves. Greetings from North Wales.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an achievement! Well done! Our family sponsors a girl in Uganda - I think she would love a dress! Quilting I can do but still need to hone my dressmaking skills :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done - what a fabulous achievement! Our family sponsors a girl in Uganda. I think she would love a dress. I can quilt but my dressmaking skills still need a little honing. Great work and congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marvellous endeavour to have smashed the 5,000 barrier. The pictures of the happy children in their dresses speaks volumes. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a truly noble cause. Keep it up guys.
    www.thatssewnaija.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!