Saturday, 25 May 2013

Abakhan £20 Challenge - 3 skirts, 1 dress and a flower headband!

Abakhan is a fab website which sells a whole range of sewing and crafting supplies. They challenge me every now and then to see what I can make for a budget of £20 and I get to choose lots of lovely things from their website. It always takes me ages to choose because there is just so much choice and they pretty much sell everything! This time around I chose some pretty polycottons for only £2.65 per metre and managed to make 3 skirts, a dress and a flower hairband for only £16!

I choose 4 different polycottons all with pretty floral designs - a metre of each plus some elastic and some gingham trim. I must admit I didn't really have a clue what I was going to make but I knew I would find some fab inspiration on Pinterest.

Inspired by a tiered skirt tutorial I had pinned from this fab tutorial on the Simple Simon blog, I made this lovely version using 2 of the fabrics. It was really easy to make and looks so pretty. Izzy was very happy with it!




particularly as it passed the twirl test!

 

I wasn't sure what to do with the leftover fabric pieces initially but then realised that I could actually make another skirt by swapping the colours of the tiers so I made a slightly smaller version for my friends daughter Jessica.



It seems twirling is very important to little girls



I was very kindly sent some old vintage patterns recently so I decided to give one a try and make a little dress too.


This was a bit more challenging and reinforced the fact that I find proper old fashioned sewing patterns and instructions so much harder to follow than the photo tutorials you get on blogs nowadays. Its clearly something to do with the way my brain works! I was pleased with the finished result though. The fabric looked so pretty with the co-ordinating gingham trim.






and finally I decided to make a slightly different version of the tiered skirt. This one also has an elasticated waist but has only 2 layers. I kind of made it up as I went along!

 


I also made a co-ordinating hairband with little flower detail. The hair band pattern can be found on the Happy Together blog


I was really pleased that I managed to make so much for only £16. That is pretty good value for money. Pop over and have a look at Abakhan. They are great for all sorts of sewing supplies and also have stores you can visit (unfortunately none are near me!).

I'm also going to use my 3 tiered skirt as my entry for the Pinterest Challenge this month!There is still time to enter if you hurry!

3 comments:

  1. Clever you!! I love crafting and quite fancy the idea of making a pretty dress for my daughter. She has a few dresses which i love that she is growing out of. I keep toying with the idea of getting some fabric and trying to recreate one myself. I hadn't heard of that website before but will check it out now. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fab makes Louise. I'm sure you have one very happy young lady there :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! What a nice variety of fabrics you chose, and each item looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!