Thursday, 17 January 2013

My Grand Adventure

I was recently asked to write a post entering a travel competition about what my 'Grand Adventure' would be if I had £1000 to spend. I deleted the email initially thinking it wasn't really relevant to me. I have 2 small children so I'm not thinking about going on ANY grand adventures in the near future! For some reason though, it did get me thinking and I realised that a grand adventure for me (and one of my future ambitions) would be to travel to one of the charity projects that have distributed some of the 3,000 plus pillowcase dresses we made for the 'Dress A Girl' charity. Somewhere like Kampala in Uganda maybe where local friends of mine run a small charity supporting children that live in the huge slum next to the Capital city. You may remember the charity which is called Hope for Life Katanga from when they distributed dresses and shorts last year. Interestingly I just read that Uganda was actually picked by Lonely Planet as their No. 1 country to visit in 2012. 


Katanga Slum, Kampala

Katanga Slum is about 2km from Kampala. It houses over 20,000 people in around 3,000 makeshift rooms. Most people survive on less than 50p a day and can't afford medical expenses, school fees or even enough food to eat. There are only 4 toilet blocks in the whole slum which people have to pay for so sanitation is a huge issue. In short it is not a great place to live. My friends visited Katanga on their own 'grand adventure' around the world a few years ago and felt compelled to return and set up a charity supporting families in the slum. They have since opened a little school for children unable to afford to go the local school and set up projects to help people become self sufficient. 



Katanga Slum, Kampala

This might seem like a strange place to choose to have a 'grand adventure', but I've already done the backpacking thing, I've travelled round Europe, lived in Greece and visited many different countries around the world. I'm looking for a NEW grand adventure. Something I've never done before. A great chance to find out about how other people live, to experience a different culture, to help people who are making real changes to childrens lives on a daily basis. What could be more exciting than that? How would I spend my imaginary £1,000? I would give the money to Hope for Life to fund some of their projects. Maybe we could take the children to the zoo again like they did last year. The first outing out of the slum for many children. 





Maybe some of the children living in the slum could and should experience some of the treats that we all take for granted on our grand adventures. £1,000 would go so far in Uganda for these children. It would help get more dresses and shorts out to the children too.




There is an actual prize for entering this Grand Adventure competition. Its £1,000 and I know exactly what I would do with it. These four children could be sponsored to attend proper school for a year which would allow 4 new children to enter the little Hope for Life Katanga school. Sounds good to me!



So what would your grand adventure be?

7 comments:

  1. are you still collecting dresses and shorts? I have far too much fabric and both my kids have enough clothes so it would be nice to use some up for someone who needs it rather than having it sitting there going to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic grand adventure that would be. fingers crossed you win so i can travel through you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your idea of a Grand Adventure sounds exciting, and so deserving as you are thinking of others again, rather than just yourself. Well done, keep up the wonderful work xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very thoughtful and nice way to use the prize money. I do hope you win!
    Thannk you for sharing these beautiful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. Fingers and toes crossed for you to win so that more children can be helped and you can actually get to see how YOU are helping them x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!