My mum taught me how to sew and has made several lovely quilts for both of my children so I thought a handmade quilt representing their 50 years of marriage would be a lovely Golden Wedding Anniversary gift. I know that both of them will appreciate the thought and work involved in making it. My only problem is that I know absolutely nothing about quilting! So quilters I need your help.
I need your advice, I need your tips, I need your suggestions of helpful blogs and websites to look at, I especially need your encouragement that I am not completely mad in attempting this as my first quilt. There are positives. I have lots of ideas on how I want it to look.
- I want it to consist of 50 different squares (blocks?) - one to represent each year of their married life
- I want to embroider important dates on some of the squares eg wedding date, births of children etc
- I want to include references to the traditional anniversary gifts eg paper, cotton etc
- I want to print photos of grandchildren onto fabric and include them in my squares on the years of their birth
- I want to have this love heart border which I feel in love with on Pinterest
- I have no idea what I am doing! I don't even know how big a double quilt should be let alone how big my squares need to be and how much fabric is needed. Is there an app that can help me with measurements and fabric requirements?
- I have until June 2012 to make the quilt. Is this feasible?
- I have no idea what goes in the middle of a quilt (wadding?) and what weight it should be?
- I have no clue re quilting the finished article or binding it.
- I'm not even sure re colour schemes/fabrics at the moment.
So does anyone want to
I will be blogging about my progress on the quilt as I attempt to make it! So if you would like to make these two people very happy please leave any suggestions you may have!