Tuesday, 2 October 2012

More Fabulous Fabrics

I had a fab day out at The Creative Stitches and Hobbycrafts Show in Exeter on Sunday. Its organised by ICHF and is the first really big sewing show that I have been to so I wasn't sure what to expect. I met up with the very lovely Kerry who organises The Pinterest Challenge and who blogs as My Love Bumps. Kerry and I both love making things so a day out without children and a chance to look at lots of pretty things was just too good to turn down.


We were not disappointed. The event was packed and FULL of lovely things to look at and ooh and aah over.  The first stand we spotted when we walked in the door was the gorgeous Fabrics Galore stand. There were soo many pretty fabrics to choose from at really reasonable prices. Kerry had to literally drag me away from this stand in the end. I could have been there for hours browsing. There were also lots of really inspiring 'makes' all around the stand which really helped you see how you could use some of the fabrics. Fabrics Galore are based in London and have a facebook page which you can find here. We had a lovely chat with them too and discovered that a website will be on the way very soon so watch this space. I just couldn't resist buying a few of their gorgeous fabrics...

So pretty and girlie

Just love it. No idea what to make with it though!

Going to be pretty girls Aprons

I'm thinking a pretty skirt or tunic for me maybe?

Our next target was Favourite Fabrics who also had a gorgeous stand. It had a completely different look and feel with lots of pretty floral prints and an amazing selection of spotty fabrics in all different shades. The fabrics were put together beautifully on the stand which had a really lovely vintagey feel. They also had a fabulous selection of pretty ribbons and trims. I'm kicking myself for not buying a selection of the spotty fabrics now. I think I was a bit overwhelmed with the amount to choose from!  You can find them on facebook here and they also look like they have a website coming soon. Really good prices too.

The Eternal Maker was another of my favourite stands. Full of THE most gorgeous Japanese fabrics. I could have spent a fortune! Here I gazed wistfully at my latest obsesssion, the Melody Miller Typewriter fabric which I now know is just as gorgeous in real life as it is online. I seriously LOVE this fabric but the print is too big for most of the things I make sadly so I just couldn't justify the expense as its £18 per metre. I will be adding it to my Christmas list though! I HAVE to own some!! They had a fabulous range of fabrics here and it was great to see some of the fabrics I see online in the flesh. They have a great website which you can find here


I did, however, buy these gorgeous decorative lace zips



and after chatting to a lovely lady discovered that there is a fab tutorial on The Eternal Maker blog which shows you how to use them.



I am going to attempt to recreate one of these make up bags for this months Pinterest Challenge which started yesterday. (You can link up here). I am, as always, way behind making my challenge.

I think these were my three favourite stands at the event. All fabulous and fabric related but all very different. I seriously could have spend hundreds of pounds on fabric at all three but was trying to be restrained (for a change!). The other stands (and there were lots) were a mixture of of art supplies, pretty ribbons and buttons, general haberdashery, scrapbooking supplies, craft storage, beads, sewing machines, knitting supplies, felting supplies etc etc along with some random stands selling cheese (yes really). Kerry managed to buy herself a garlic grater! (don't ask me why at a sewing show but she did). I'm sure you can read more about it on her blog very soon. She like me is a sucker for any item being demonstrated!! There were also lots of craft demonstrations and workshops but we were far too busy shopping to take part in any!

I couldn't resist a couple of other purchases. Some Toy Story fabric for Sam. He loves Woody and Buzz.  The scissors and tape measure are little sticking fillers for Izzy and Sam


A few fabulous ribbons and buttons from Crafty Ribbons and a quilting ruler to help me with the Anniversary Quilt.


I also bought some lovely Washi tape which I can't share because Kerry stole them from me took them home by mistake!! We also checked out some of the fabulous quilts and Jane Austin period drama costumes on display. It was a great day out (apart from the dreadful food!) and I can't wait to go to another show (although my Bank Manager may not be quite as happy about it!).

4 comments:

  1. I was there on Saturday and I really enjoyed it as well! I loved the stamp and typewriter fabrics, but couldn't justify buying any at the time. I went there with a craft show newbie and she got a bit too excited and spent way too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely. I have been in Germany 6 months and have not the faintest how to find anything like this. I have found a great material shop full of lovely things but it is in the next town. Now number one is at school full time I might make a visit there.
    A cushion with the stamps maybe?
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these people that live 'near' me and I only find out when you go to a show! I couldn't make it as the hubs was away and I didn't fancy taking the two tikes, I would have spend a fortune at the Eternal Maker so its probably a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore that Stamp fabric, it deserves to be made into something special

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!