Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Gorgeous Girls in Ghana!

The very lovely Gwen has sent me some more gorgeous photos of our pillowcase dresses in Ghana. Gwen and her friend Sophie both worked at the orphanage for a number of months this summer. Sophie kindly shared her photos when she returned home and now Gwen has sent me lots more. You can read more about their experiences at the orphanage on their blogs here and here. Its a fascinating insight into life in Ghana. See if you can spot your dress!!











 









































Such beautiful photos! Sophie also kindly wrote this for the blog


"In February 2011 I left for Ghana for 3 months, aged 18. I visited WORCSA- Woman’s Refuge and Child Survival Africa, home to over 70 children aged 2-18. It was such an eye opener to see the way another culture lived. These children were- and still are- so happy with what they have. There is no running water, on-off electricity and the children are crammed into rooms, some of the younger ones sleeping on the floor. I had the time of my life with these children who now have a special place in my heart, and was lucky enough to return for 6 weeks in June 2012. It was then that another volunteer Gwen, and I arranged for the dresses to be brought over to Ghana to give to the girls. I think it is fantastic that although many people for various reasons are unable to visit developing countries to help, they find their own way of showing kindness and generosity by making these dresses and shorts that are greatly appreciated by the children. It was a pleasure to see everyone’s hard work and enthusiasm when I received the dresses and to be able to give them out on my return to the orphanage. The girls were so delighted and wore the dresses for church the very next day, they looked lovely. So a massive thank you to everyone out there sewing- keep it up!!


More fabulous dresses and shorts have been arriving over the last few weeks. A huge thanks go to Joan (4 dresses), Pauline (11 dresses), Pam (3 dresses & 3 shorts), Jill (30 shorts), Audrey (7 dresses), Helen (12 dresses), Jenny, Lily & Carolyn (20 dresses), Sandra and the year 6 girls from The Kingswood School (9 dresses), and Jennifer (17 dresses). All of them are completely gorgeous.




I have to say a huge thank you to Jennifer who organised a dress making day at her studio and also very kindly sent a £50 donation from the owner of the Mill where her studio is based towards postage costs.  This is so generous and will make a huge difference. The only expense the charity has in the UK is the cost of posting the dresses in the UK to people who can take them abroad. I always try and see if we can get the dresses collected but sometimes this is just not possible and so we have to post them. The money will be used towards the cost of this postage. This means we can get more dresses to girls who need them.

3 comments:

  1. Such lovely pics of happy little girls with their new dresses Louise. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a lovely post - I can see lots of the little frocks I made - thanks lots for sharing. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats what sends me back to my sewing machine making more dresses and more shorts. I like the style with the cross over bodice. Perhaps whoever made them could share with us the pattern for the top. Got 9 more dresses made and will be making more with the remnants I was given from the lovely Sew La La.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!