Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Uganda 2012

A team from Parental Care Ministries UK visited Uganda last month and took 150 dresses and 155 pairs of shorts with them! The UK team are responsible for helping a school in Kyehimba which looks after around 250 children most of whom are extremely poor. They have very kindly sent me lots of photos of the children receiving their dresses and shorts which I am absolutely delighted to share! Do you recognise any of your dresses or shorts?








The first photos of boys wearing shorts that we have made. Fantastic!!














The Team took lots of craft kits with them so that the children could all make sock puppets. Looks like they had fun!!



One of the team was 84 year old Bernard! This was his first trip to Uganda. Its never too late to get involved!


The children in their classroom which is still under construction.


PCMUK have over the past year managed to fund and instigate a feeding programme at Kyehimba so the children now get breakfast and lunch at school. The team reported that the children look much healthier on this trip.






 They also took sports equipment with them





















This is Bernard with a lady from the local village who is 100 years old! She is wearing a blanket made of squares knitted by people from The Wirral. The team have sewn nearly 60 blankets together so far!




Thanks to everyone who has made dresses and shorts. I hope this makes you feel very proud. Huge thank you to the PCMUK team for taking the dresses to Uganda and for taking such lovely photos. I also want to thank Margaret and John in the UK who drove all the way from North Wales to come and collect the dresses so we could save on the postage and who very kindly sent me a CD of photos with information about the trip.

Parental Care Ministries are looking for people to sponsor children at the school. This costs £15 per month and makes a huge difference to these children's lives. You can find out more information on the website. The website seemed to be having problems when I checked tonight but please try again if you are interested in finding out more. There is also a facebook page here or just let me know and I can put you in touch with someone who had visited the school first hand and can give you more information about where your money would go.

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this and for making us all aware of this work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting all the photos. It's lovely to see children wearing some of the things I've made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its lovely when you can spot something you have made!

      Delete
  3. I loved seeing these photos.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful to see these pictures ~ I see a couple of pairs of my shorts and I think a dress too ~ just amazing. Thank you so much for coordinating this Louise, you do a fab job, and seeing these photos makes it all so worthwhile. I have time and the fabric to run up some more dresses this summer ... need to source some fabric for shorts, but I am constantly on the lookout! Well done everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. I couldn't do it without everyone making so many dresses and shorts! x

      Delete
  5. I can just about see familiar items through my tears. It's so moving to see the little dresses and shorts we have made being worn by the beautiful children in far off lands. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and making my day.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! You made so many that its about time you got to see some of them being worn!! xx

      Delete
  6. It's lovely to see their smiling faces and to see the results of everyone's efforts - the makers, and the people involved with the logistics! Well done one and all
    Marlownet Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting all these lovely photos - so nice to see frocks that we made amongst all those happy faces. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you Jo for the hundreds of dresses you and Annie have made. xx

      Delete
  8. Makes you want to cry...in a happy way....it is so emotional seeing their gorgeous faces...oh its fab!

    Thank you Louise for continually posting about all this and keeping us up to date and enthused....with out you there would be alot fewer smiling faces...THANKS xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment. Have to admit to shedding the odd tear myself when I see the photos!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for publishing these photos Louise. I too looked at them through tears. Keep up the good work and we will keep the dresses coming. I will also be able to show the people who donated material and bedding what their donations have made and where they have gone to. Pam French

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you Pam for all the dresses and shorts you made. You really made the shorts thing happen with your enthusiasm and hard work! xx

      Delete
  10. I too looked at the pictures of some of my dresses and shorts on the children through tears. I can show the people who donated material and bedding what I made and the children wearing them. You do great work and we will keep you supplied with dresses and shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, Louise, what an inspirational post! I hadn't heard about the shorts, I will have to get making some!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. Didn't want to leave the boys out!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!