Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Testing Patterns!

 I love sewing but have done very little dress making so when I spotted the chance to be a pattern tester for Lily Bird Studio and her latest design, I jumped at the chance. I had recently bought 3 of her lovely patterns and just needed something to make me take the plunge into dress making and give them a try. The Juliette Dress looked so pretty that I put my name forward and was lucky enough to be chosen.




I was asked to make the bottom green dress in a size 7 and to give some feedback on the pattern and tutorial which were emailed to me. I decided to use some of this pretty fabric from Sew La La. Its so sweet and not too expensive!


I love tutorials that use photos rather than just written instructions or diagrams so this was perfect for me although at this point I really wasn't sure if I had followed the pattern correctly. I just couldn't see how this would resemble a dress in any way!


Luckily once turned inside out it began to take shape and started to look a bit more like the top of a dress should. How could I have doubted myself??


I then had to overcome my fear of buttonholes. In 41 years of sewing I have managed to avoid ever sewing a buttonhole. They are actually really easy - its a revelation!!


LOOK!!

The finished dress. I was so pleased with it. It actually looks like it should!!


Little puffy sleeves


A cut out back

BUTTONS!!

and the best thing - it fitted perfectly and was worn to a school disco the very same day!




The pattern for this dress is going to be launched in the next day or two and Lily Bird Studio have very kindly offered readers of my blog a 15% discount on any patterns purchased before Monday 25 July. You just have to enter SEW15OFF at the checkout. You can use it on any of the patterns from her website or etsy shop.  She also has a facebook page here. Keep your eyes peeled for future pattern testing opportunities! I have already bought the following 3 patterns to try out and can't wait to get started now. 






Lots of other sewing this week too. My first big order since I gave up work and stated sewing full time!  26 personalised pencil cases for some children leaving a Pre-School. My friend is the Manager there and so we matched particular fabrics to particular children. It was so much fun going through my stash to find something everyone would like.


I found a piece of transfer paper lying around so was able to print out the names of the children onto tape and add them as little tags to make them individual.




We added the coloured pencils from their Bookstart packs and they ended up being a perfect little gift. Hope they like them!


Wanted to say a huge thanks to Emma from Oscar and Rose Photography for taking some lovely family photos for us. They were gorgeous and we managed to find the only dry half hour slot this year!.





We even got a shot of me sewing!


Another huge thank you to the lovely Abby of Bubs Bears who has sweated and sewn for hours and hours making us 8 'Grandma' Remembrance bears from very difficult fabrics including cardigans and thin scarves!! They are absolutely beautiful and a wonderful way of using the clothes from a loved one. Izzy and Sam and all their cousins will have one each and each fabric holds special memories of their grandma.



We got first choice!




18 comments:

  1. Love Izzy's new dress. That pattern works well. How lovely to be asked to try out patterns....if they want any trying out for 3 yr, 2 yr or babies think of me :-)
    You have so many fab things on the go. Love those pencil cases...what a brilliant idea.
    The photos of your gorgeous family are really lovely and those bears will be treasured I'm sure.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Will let you know if they are looking for pattern testers again. Know that you would make a beautiful dress!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of Grandma bears such a wonderful way to remember a loved one. I wish I still had little girls to sew for I used to love making clothes for my girls and the dress you have made is so pretty.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bears are gorgeous. Abby is so clever!

      Delete
  3. Hi Louise. The pattern is a real stunner & you have done it perfect justice. I think the fabric looks just right with the pattern of the dress, your daughter is very lucky to have had such a beautiful dress to wear to her party. Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is so pretty and such lovely fabric. The pencil cases are great too. You have been so busy.
    I love the Bubs Bears what a lovely idea for a special keepsake.
    Dx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bears are so lovely. My photos don't do them justice.

      Delete
  5. A very full and exceedingly productive post Louise!! I love all your sewing - the little dress is perfect and really suits Izzy. Your pencil cases will be much loved I am sure. What a busy bee you are. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been nice having a bit of extra time to make things for a change. Loving my change of job!

      Delete
  6. The pencil cases are a great idea and a very useful stash-busting project!

    Best wishes
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes def. A really good way of using up bits of fabric. x

      Delete
  7. WOW WOW WOW! you have been busy!!! All so stunning, you should put that dress in your shop! AND those gorgeous pencil cases!! SHOP SHOP SHOP! Stunning - you are so clever xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry! Will be in touch re next Pinterest Challenge soon. xx

      Delete
  8. Glad you had fun pattern testing, I've done a few for Cecilia she is great to work with, sadly my girls just aren't into dresses so I'd be making a dress that wouldn't be worn. I have a few of her patterns and used the shorts with pockets one alot - they are wonderful.
    Love the bears, such a great momento, I'm sure they will be treasured for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the patterns. Def challenged my sewing skills! Luckily Izzy is still in the pretty dress stage so it wasn't wasted!! x

      Delete
  9. First off, I have to say I got all teary at seeing the bears made in rememberance of Grandma. What a wonderful idea! I have just lost my very much loved, and very much missed, Godmother, and there were certain clothes she had we associated with her...such a lovely, touching thing to do for the family. They will always think of her when they see the bears now. Beautiful!

    And on another note - the pencil cases looks fabulous! The name tags make them just that bit more personal and add a little something. The fabrics are fantastic too. Did you make up the pattern as well? Congratulations on your first big order - hopefully the first of many x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Made the pattern for the pencil cases but it was really easy. Literally just two rectangles of fabric. Just make sure they are long enough for your pencils!

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...