Sunday, 1 July 2012

July Pinterest Challenge - Lampshades!

I'm cheating a little bit today by combining 2 posts really. My fabulous lampshade making workshop with Ruth from Quincy Lampshades and my July Pinterest Challenge entry which is, funnily enough, my new lampshade!

I fell in love with these lampshades when I saw Ruth and her gorgeous stall at a local market. I kept her details and pinned the lampshades on Pinterest and when I realised Ruth ran lampshade making workshops I started dropping some very big hints around my birthday!



It worked and yesterday 6 other lovely ladies and myself went along to the Folk House in Bristol and had a fabulous time learning how to make a lampshade. It took 3 hours and was so satisfying watching it all come together. There is much more to it than I envisaged and I really appreciate the skill involved now in getting it to look perfect.








The different fabrics made each lampshade look so individual. I loved other peoples fabric choices. The fabric that I used was from a swap I did with Handmade Jane. You can read about it here. I wasn't really sure what I would ever use it for until today. I think it works really well as a 'statement' lampshade as its quite a bold fabric.

Ruth runs courses in Bristol and Bath and also lampshade making parties. You can read her blog here and her facebook page here. I would highly recommend the course. It was so much fun and the other ladies on the course were all so nice. It was great to learn something a bit different and come away with the finished article.

The Pinterest Challenge this month is over on Kerry at The LoveBumps blog starting tomorrow - Monday 2 July. You have a week to enter so please join in and link up. There will be some changes to the challenge over the next few months including its own dedicated website so you know where to find us.

I met Kerry for the first time at Britmums Live and she was FABULOUS!! So funny. It was great getting to know people from blogland. There have been lots of posts on Britmums. It was a great experience. I learnt lots and came back feeling really motivated with a headful of ideas about using video on the blog, improving my SEO, photography tips, using the blog for charitable purposes. There were some fantastic speakers including Sarah Brown, Ruby Wax, Cherry Healy, Katy Hill and Camila Batmanghelidjh. There were also semi naked men and free champagne! I also realised that I am a bit rubbish at networking. I really wish I had the confidence to ask questions and speak up when I have something to say. Maybe next year!!

Oh and nearly forgot I have to enter my lovely fried Debi's entry into the Pinterest Challenge this month too because she is on holiday! She loves Peacocks and pinned this gorgeous picture as inspiration.


Source: gamebird.com via Debi on Pinterest


She is fantastically talented and clever and painted these gorgeous peacocks for the challenge.


Remember yo have one week to 'pin', make and link up. There will be a prize!!

27 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely! Please enter me in the prize draw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry but the draw finished the day I posted the photo with the details. I have changed the photo now so as not to confuse people!

      Delete
  2. Very cool lampshade! Please take a picture of it in your home so we can see that too! The peacocks are amazing - you have a very talented friend there indeed!

    I did a bit of crafting yesterday - all of it involving spray paint. I was wearing flip flops and when I took them off my feet were a nice cherry red color! tee hee. I should have taken a photo.....

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay. Will def post a photo of the lampshade in a room. It didn't fit the stand I had in mind unfortunately so have to buy a new one first!

      Delete
  3. Love the lampshade and keep forgetting to join in the Pinterest challenge :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Theres always next month!!

      Delete
  4. I love the lampshade. I have wanted to make one for ages now. Such lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Louise,
    It was great to meet you on the lampshade course. I'm back in Devon now but will definitely be in touch when I've moved xx
    Love the blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you too. Lets catch up when you have moved. x

      Delete
  6. I love that fabric so much, definitely a statement piece! The idea of doing sewing/crafting workshops is very exciting especially if you come away with a finished product. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was so much fun. Really enjoyed it. x

      Delete
  7. Your taste in fabric is impeccable, I love your choice for your lampshade! I remember you mentioning this birthday treat a while back and so glad you had a great time! Your friends peacocks paintings are pretty amazing too. What talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think we prob have very similar taste in fabric. Loved the camera strap you made for Kerry. x

      Delete
  8. Oh that's wonderful Louise! That fabric is really lovely but definitely doesn't fit into many boxes. It's PERFECT for a light shade, my god, you'd pay a fortune for one like that in the shops! It really was worth the wait. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I love it! I knew I would use it eventually!

      Delete
  9. That's really nice! Would look so good in a room with blue and green cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely and your choice of fabric is great! What a great pressie - well done your hubby (I guess) for picking up on the hints!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you. My friend Debi is so talented. Wish I could draw/paint like her.

      Delete
  12. Really pleased you enjoyed your workshop at the Folk House - your lampshade looks so professional! It would be great if we could use your photos so that future students can get an idea of what they'd be making. Would that be ok? If you could email fran@bristolfolkhouse.co.uk that would be great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can. Will email you tomorrow!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful day out, and your lampshade is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am SOOOO doing this! Thanks for the #Pinspiration! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!