Monday, 7 May 2012

Pinterest Challenge #4 - Bird Wings!

I have been admiring these bird wings ever since I saw them on Pinterest so thought it was about time I gave it a go and made some for Sam. They turned out really well and I keep meaning to make some bigger ones for Izzy too. They were actually quite easy and didn't take too much time surprisingly.




This is my version.


I wasn't sure about having ties around the neck so I added some straps that went around the shoulders and this worked really well although could have been slightly bigger.


I put poppers on the thumb bit but I'm not really sure why. I could have just sewn them together as it doesn't really need to be adjustable if you make it big enough!


For the inside I used a fabric my mum had given me ages ago. It was quite a garish paisley design that was padded and quilted. I wasn't really sure what I was ever going to do with it but it worked really well as the inside of the wings and gave it a bit of strength.





 I used bias binding across the top of the wings and for the shoulder straps. Next time I will also put it on the other edge of the wings to make it neater. Not that I'm OCD or anything!




Continuing on the bird theme I also made a little bird for Izzy based on this Pin





 It was a bit fiddly to make and the second one I tried went a bit wonky. Oh well!


You have a week to link at Butwhymummywhy's blog here or you can just pop over and see what everyone has made this month. Remember there is a prize! Happy Pinning.

12 comments:

  1. i love those wings!! Spotted them ages ago and wondered how difficult they were to make! Good job! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wings! I can see that little ones would love them. The birds are really sweet too, I love your choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them, they've been on my Pinterest to do list for a while. Maybe I'll do them for the kids birthday presents

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not seen those wings before, how amazing do they look?! Beautiful. Your bird looks great too, I'm never any good at stuffed toys and getting the shapes looking right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those wings are beautiful. I know a little girl who would love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant bird wings - what fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the wings. The best gift we can give our children is wings to fly the nest when they are ready (although I am almost at that stage with my daughter and it is quite scary!! ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I want some wings like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. brill - make some for the arts trail???!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOWZAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should sell these.... Beautiful work, so so clever! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Out done yourself once again there lady! Those wings are just wonderful and the bird is such a delight :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!