Wednesday, 14 March 2012

1000 dresses!!

I am so proud today because we have exceeded our target of 1000 dresses!!  A HUGE thanks to everyone who has made and sent dresses or donated fabric or sent money to cover postage costs. What an amazing achievement. 620 dresses have been distributed so far (in fact some are being given out in India right now!) and the rest all have homes allocated and will be going to various developing countries over the next few months. We don't want to stop now though. The next target is 2000 dresses!!

I've received lots of lovely dresses over the past week or so which I want to share. The first parcel of dresses and the ones to take us over 1000 dresses were from Jo and Annie, two sisters who have been instrumental in helping me reach the target. To date they have made 371 dresses between them!! These were their latest 32 although I am reliably informed that there are more on the way!



You can see from Jo and Annies dresses and the speed at which they make them that they are experienced seamstresses. I was curious to find out more about their sewing background and their motivation to get involved with 'Dress a Girl' which they very kindly agreed to share on the blog. This is what they told me....


We really have loved making the little frocks for the "Dress a girl around the world scheme". It started as just a litttle something that we thought we could do with some of our own fabric stash but then snowballed into a slightly bigger project when our blog friends and customers etc gave us their spare pillow cases and duvets. Everyone has been so pleased to join in and we have loved seeing the most plain and ordinary fabrics transformed into pretty little frocks.  We also made a few pairs of shorts from recycled T shirts for the boys and think that might be something we might continue with this year. 
  • We both have a life long love of sewing - we think we inherited the gene from our Grandma who was a wonderful needlewoman all of her life and lived to be 100!!
  • We both had a brilliant needlework teacher, Mrs Woodroffe at the Priory Girls School Shrewsbury. She taught us all we needed to know and certainly gave us opportunity to develop our dressmaking skills.
  • Over the years we have made our own wedding dresses and outfits for Mum, Grandma and elderly aunts and of course - many for our children and Annie's grandchildren
  • We both love a wide variety of crafts including kniting, crochet, needlefelting, bobbin lace making. We make puppets, dolls, soft toys, patchwork, applique - well anything really!
  • Annie runs a full time sewing business (alterations & repairs). She tackles anything from bridal gowns to biker gear including repairing accessories for hot air ballons, boats, tents & caravans!! The only things she really hates are curtains so she calls on my help for cutting and measuring. We make a great team.
I also wanted to put faces to the names so here are the lovely Annie (Wipso) and Jo (Twiglet) in action. Thank you lovely ladies!


Another gorgeous parcel arrived from the lovely people at the Kinsley and Fitzwilliam Craft Group. They sent me a fabulous 13 dresses.


All so pretty



They also included 5 pairs of shorts. These will be off to Uganda in June.


Wait - theres more! 


Gorgeous purses



Fabulous little bags. Each included a dress or pair of shorts. Imagine how excited a child will be receiving one of these!



AND some beautiful hair bands


Modelled by my friends daughter Amelia. Thank you so much. What an amazing parcel of goodies. 



Two different lots of dresses on the washing line here. On the top we have another parcel of dresses from the lovely Patricia who sent 8 more gorgeous dresses (one is not in the photo but I do have it!!). The bottom dresses are from a lovely sewing group called The Bath Short and Sharp Sewing Gang who sent 6 pretty dresses. You can see more photos of their makers Jane, Sarah, Rebecca, Wai, Lola and Kerry here.


and last but not least another 21 gorgeous dresses from the very kind Pamela who I know is busy making shorts as we speak. Have a look here for inspiration. 


I am, as ever, quite overwhelmed with peoples generosity and kindness (and dress making skills!). The total as of today is 1078 dresses and I still have 2 parcels I haven't opened yet! I managed to break my toe yesterday which has kind of made doing anything difficult!



If you have made a dress please remember you can take a blog badge to put on your blogs and/or websites (see my side bar for the code). These show you have contributed to 'Dress A  Girl' and will also link back to the information page on my blog if people click on them. Please can you blog, tweet, facebook about Dress a Girl and reaching 1000 dresses so we can encourage new people to join in and help us meet our next target.


Well done everyone!!

27 comments:

  1. I'm posting your request on my Facebook/twitter too. Its such beautiful campaign and I'm so happy to see the boys also included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thats brilliant. x

      Delete
    2. Louise, Me and friend Cris will contribute again (we saw our dresss today on Kenya via peggy pickles) to more dresses some time in june,

      Its that Ok?

      We also would love to have the pattern for the shorts so we can make some for the boys too.

      Delete
    3. Thats fantastic! Thank you so much. Will contact you with the links to the boys shorts tutorials. x

      Delete
  2. I was really move to read this post Louise. Thank you so much.
    Huge hugs for all your wonderful efforts.
    A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your support. I couldn't have done it without you!

      Delete
  3. its so lovely to see all the dresses made. I love the little bags. I have some way to go to reach 371 but continue to make when I have material. I have a friend who I worked with at a fabric shop years ago who has loads of material. I may have to have a short vacation to Oxford to see her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been so generous already Pam. I really appreciate it. Vacation to Oxford sounds good though!!

      Delete
  4. congratulations on reaching your target. Beautiful dresses and other items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on reaching 1000. I follow Annie and Jo's blogs and they have inspired me to start making these dresses. I have made one so far with more to follow. I would like to make some shorts too but don' know where to begin.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats brilliant! Thank you. Have a look at the info page on my blog. There are two tutorials for shorts which might be helpful. http://sewscrumptious.blogspot.com/p/pillowcase-dress-info.html

      Delete
  6. Well done Louise - truly amazing 1000 have been achieved! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fabulous, I have watery eyes reading this post!

    I am very proud to know Annie and Jo and you have one of those rarities - a real photo of them too so that is extra special! I love to follow their makes on their blogs and its wonderful to see everyone elses dresses too!

    Keep up the good work ladies, a very well earned round of applause goes to you all!

    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoo!!! 1000 well done everyone. We have had a fab time making our little frocks and have had such a great response from lots of friends and customers providing material and trimmings. We will keep going and I am sure a few pairs of shorts will be included this time too!! Thanks lots for your brilliant organisation of parcels etc. Hope that broken toe isn't too painful - best wishes. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. You have been amazing! Really appreciate your help.

      Delete
  9. That's fantastic news- congratulations. And well done to everyone who has contributed thus far. I guess I should get on and make a few more for the next target!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, an amazing achievement, well done to all concerned.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Congratulations! Must have taken you ages to count them :P

    Just to let you know I've made some shorts for the boys. I won't send them just yet because I'm going to make some more...

    http://kirbyjanecrafty.blogspot.com/2012/03/shorts-for-boys-around-world.html

    Keep up the good work! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a look. They look fab! Thank you so much. x

      Delete
  12. What a blessing! Keep up the great work! Thanks for sharing and showing what one dress can do!!

    Would love to help!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats fantastic! Thanks Rochell. If you contact me I can let you have more info. x

      Delete
  13. Congratulations!!!! I love how you show us the dresses by hanging them on the clothes line.

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing achievement - it's wonderful and you all should be very proud! Congratulations on such a big milestone! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, how fantastic to reach over 1000! When I started following your blog, your target was 100. What an achievement!

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog, come and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful campaign! I live in South Africa and we have many poor communities here and would love to start doing this. I have your dress patter, but where can I find the pattern for the shorts/headband/purse/handbag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I have just emailed you! x

      Delete
  17. lovely dresses! I will be contacting you about sending some.I have tons of pillowcases waiting to be made into little pretties!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!