Thursday, 5 January 2012

Goodbye 2011 Hello 2012

I was supposed to be doing some sewing this morning while Sam is at pre school but my sewing mojo seems to have deserted me so I'm back on the computer looking back at my blog over the last year. What a year its been! I seem to have bought a LOT of fabric but actually did much less sewing (I blame facebook/Twitter/blogging/Pinterest!) I have enjoyed taking part in swaps, I've hosted giveaways and reviewed products. Best of all I have connected with lots of lovely like minded people and discovered some fantastic, inspiring new blogs.

I am proud of several things. I got involved with the 'Dress a Girl around the World' project and was really pleased to be asked to be the UK co-ordinator. A dress I made ended up being worn by a girl in Malawi. Amazing!



With help from all you lovely bloggers we collected 653 dresses which have been distributed to girls in Malawi, Kenya, India and Ghana. Big High Fives all round!!

I ran the Bristol 10k and along with selling some sewing kits raised well over £200 for TBACT who support disabled and abandoned children in Bulgaria. They do amazing work which you can read about here and here.

Horrible photo but proof I did it!

I wrote my first tutorials. A Personalised PE Bag here


and a Bandana Bib here


I made lots of PE bags, hair clip tidies, baking bags, bibs, purses and tooth fairy cushions and my things are now being stocked in a real life shop!








I developed an obsession with vintage singer sewing machines, stalked followed celebrities on twitter and got them to reply to me (sometimes!) and continued my love for Phillip Schofield. I even almost got a makeover on This Morning (long story!)


So what about the New Year. Well I have big plans for 2012!!

I have business idea which involves fabric which I am very excited about. I am currently putting together a business plan to see if I can take it further. That is really exciting. Even my other half thinks its a good idea!

I really want to get things moving with the 'Dress a Girl' project. I need to find more ways of getting the dresses to where they are needed. I'm going to try and gets lots more publicity. I want to run some workshops, get more schools involved and get Kirsty Allsop to make a dress!! I did make one of the bird feeders from her new book so its only fair!!

I want to go on a free machine embroidery course with Poppy Treffrey or Lou Gardiner (birthday hint!!). Both are amazing and inspiring.

I want to do more tutorials. Shall I do one for the Ninendo DS case??



I want to make something I have never made before every month from online tutorials or sewing books and plan to put a to do list on my blog so I don't forget! These will def be on my list (I found lots of these ideas on Pinterest).

A Fabric Basket from Pink Penguin



Pretty Dress by From an Igloo




Mini Art Folio by Gingerbread


Sprocket Pillows by Cluck Cluck Sew


I will make more non sewing related things too!

Like this button letter picture from American Crafts Studio



Wild Horses from Design Sponge



Doily Lampshade  by More Design Please



The New Year has already started well. We have been featured in Simply Homemade Magazine (issue 12) this month!



This was thanks to the lovely Clare from The Craft Studio who has been running free workshops for people who want to make dresses. I have had lots of interest following this article. My next target is 1000 dresses!

I also want to ask a favour. The Sewing Directory and Backstitch are running a 'Sewing Blog of the Year Award. If you like my blog please could you vote for me here or here. It would be fabulous publicity for the dress a girl project and the prize is free fabric which means we can make more dresses!!

Happy New Year!

14 comments:

  1. wow, very inspiring, and I love the dress a girl around the world project, sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a fab round up! i'll put some more dresses on my to do list! i always have plenty of fabric! (i won some in the christmas comp with the sewing directory which will work v. nicley!)
    good luck with it all. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many wonderful ideas in the process for new makes for this year Louise. You have my vote of course :-)
    I really do hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you and your lovely family and you have many many creative hours to come.....I shall be watching with interest :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been very busy!
    I look forward to seing more on your endevours in 2012.
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posted my vote! And ~ wow ~ what a productive year you have had, I love your goals for 2012,and especially look forward to seeing Kirsty Allsop appearing in your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great post - so inspirational!! I have about 30 dresses to post to you - say if you want me to hang onto them for a while until you have somewhere to send them. Happy New Year. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You ceratinly did achieve a lot in 2012 - that Monogram from American Crafts is on my "to do" list for 2012 too - I have the shadow box frames at the ready to make one for each of my two for their rooms

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
    Yours, Ulla

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an amazing year you have had Louise, so many wonderful achievements, I wish you good luck for all your plans and dreams in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you certainly achieved a lot in 2011 and I'm sure 2012 will be a fantastic year for you as you have so many ideas already. Good luck with the business plan, hope it is a success for you.
    Off to vote.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just been and cast my vote. Yes please to a tut for the ninendo DS case. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow love the sprocket pillows! look forward to more of your sewing. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Louise. Jo and I had a busy day cutting our little dresses on Sat and today I have blogged a celebration comptition. You might like to join in and flag it up on your blog to spread the word about the charity :-)
    Thanks,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for getting in touch Louise. I have the pillowslips, now will get going!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...