Sunday, 26 June 2011

Off to Malawi

Not me but 50 dresses!! A friend put me in touch with a local retired GP who is off to Malawi in July. He and a group of friends visit each year to help out and take over with them whatever they can for the villages and schools they support. They have offered to take 50 dresses with them to distribute to girls in need (if they can fit them in their baggage allowance!). This is fantastic as we will find out exactly where the dresses are going, hopefully be able to see some photos of the girls wearing them and generally find out more about the lives of the girls that are receiving them. More info to follow...

A huge thank you to Karen who sent 5 beautiful dresses over from Ireland for the appeal taking the total to a sensational seventy!! They are all absolutely gorgeous. Karen has a lovely blog called 4 Lil Girls which you can find here. Its well worth checking out.

Dress one is made from a pretty pink rose fabric with lovely contrasting hand made bias binding ties and a band at the bottom.

 
It also has very pretty ric rac around the bottom


Dress 2 is made from a sweet little butterfly fabric


again finished off with contrasting band, ties and ric rac.


Dress 3 is made from the rose fabric but this time in a lovely purple.


 Love this colour combination


In fact I love all the fabrics that Karen has used. I especially like the lime green bias binding and ties on dress 4. Its such a great idea using it as a band along the top too. Will have to try that idea on my next dress.


 It looks great against the purple fabric


and last but certainly not least dress 5. A pink version of this fabric which is covered in balloons and party hats. So pretty.


and I was very lucky because Karen also VERY kindly sent me this beautiful bag with the dresses. It is absolutely gorgeous and I love it!


It is beautifully made and just look inside...


Co-ordinating lining and pockets. Karen you are very clever and very generous. Thank you so much!

Here I am trying to take a cool shot of myself with the bag whilst showing off my new haircut and highlights!!


It didn't really work as a shot did it?? I couldn't take a proper photo of me though as I have a dreadful cold at the moment and feel awful. I thought the shock of seeing my horrible red puffy eyes and streaming nose would probably be too much for you on a Sunday evening.

I also want to say a huge thank you to the lovely Jan and her mum Betty from the Lemonade Kitty blog who sent me a cheque for £15 to put towards the cost of posting the dresses to America. The money was sent in memory of Jan's lovely dad Peter who she tells me was very kind and generous and would have loved what the charity is trying to achieve with the dresses. I am very honoured to have been sent this money in Peter's name and will be using it to make sure that every single dress gets sent to the charity in America or other places in the world where they are needed. Thank you for such a lovely gesture!

4 comments:

  1. That is really lovely that the dresses will be hand delievered to the girls in Malawi, and a lovely gesture from Lemonade Kitty and her Mum. Love your new haircut too! Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, it's so lovely to see it all coming together! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came bloghopping in search of inspiration this evening - and found it right here! Love looking the the pillow case dresses, what a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these dresses are getting prettier and prettier - love the ric ric, great idea! And how lovely to get that donation towards postage from Lemonade Kitty - gives you so much faith in humanity!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!