Saturday, 18 June 2011

Its a bit addictive this dress making lark

I discovered a lovely new blog called Bearpaw recently when Jo left a comment saying she had blogged about the pillowcase dress appeal and had also made two dresses. Several people have signed up since Jo's post so I need to say thank you very much and I also need to show her beautiful dresses which arrived today. 

I love the colours on the first dress with its co-ordinating binding, ties and band at the bottom. So pretty.



Dress two is just as lovely with its vibrant summer colours


The flowers are so pretty and the dress is finished off with a cute little heart button. Thanks Jo!


Izzy has been nagging me to make her a pillowcase dress for ages now so inspired by the dresses that keep arriving I had another go. 

I'm really pleased with this one. The fabric was only £3.50 a metre from Fabricland but it looks much more expensive I think.

I have discovered that sewing dresses is actually quite addictive so I had to have a go at the other method in the tutorial I linked to. This time with more expensive fabric which made sewing it much more scary! I had a go at making bias binding for the first time too (time consuming but worth it is my verdict)


I love the fabric on this dress but the fit isn't quite as good on Izzy and the straps are maybe a bit too wide. I'm quite pleased at my first attempt of this version though.


I then felt guilty that these dresses were for me and made another one for the charity! The blue version of the pink Fabricland fabric. I am so going back to buy more of this fabric.



I also wanted to share  a great new online E Magaine about contemporary craft I've come across called The Craft Tonic. Its well worth a look and has lots of really interesting features in it. I ended up spending ages looking through it.


They also have a lovely blog here. Its well worth a look!

5 comments:

  1. The dresses are lovely and well done you with the ones you made. They look great. i love the fabric. I also just checked out the new magazine and I love it - so thank you for that. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a lovely dress for Izzy! I'm thinking of making those dresses for all my nieces now - I know what you mean about it being a bit addictive! Went to Take That too - they were amazing, but thought Robbie kind of stole the show. Right off to make a Fathers Day card quick! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased you got the dresses ok Louise! And lovely to see your pretty dresses modelled on your pretty daughter! It is really good to see them on an actual girl - they are so simple but lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you from a link on MoneySavingExpert (The Sewing Room thread on Forum), just love these dresses you've made and all the others (have been having a nosey but easiest to comment here)! Thank you very much for the linke to The Craft Tonic too - have subscribed, it's a good read, lots of good ideas. Off to read the first issue now. Best wishes from sunny Liverpool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Louise, I tried to send you an e mail but couldn't? It was my late dad's birthday on sunday and mam and I want to send you some money in his memory to help towards the postage of those dresses to all the beautiful girls who deserve them. So if you email me your address to pandoraradley@hotmail.co.uk I'll put you a cheque in the post. To see those little girls with a smile on their faces puts a smile on our faces and I'm sure my dad will be smiling too, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!