Monday, 27 June 2011

Introducing Molly, the next Cath Kidston?

My lovely niece Molly has just received a sewing machine for her 11th birthday which she bought to show me when she visited recently. I had visions of giving her lots of advice about sewing but she clearly doesn't need any help from me. She is amazing!! She had already mastered a lined book bag which had no visible seams (its taken me about 20 years to work out how to make one of those!). She had also designed and made her own shoulder bag AND a top for herself. I was so impressed.





We've already decided that a trip to a fabric shop is in order next time she visits along with grandma and Izzy. I can't wait! Her two lovely sisters Daisy and Tess also visited and the children had great fun in Grandma's garden.



Anyone got any good suggestions re sewing books/blogs that Molly might like? Most of my books are based around making things for young children or grown ups rather than teenagers. Need to find some funky things for Molly to try out. Thought of this one


I clearly need to get Molly making pillowcase dresses though! (Molly there is a great tutorial here if you are interested??)

Talking of pillowcase dresses....another 6 arrived today taking the total to 76 dresses.

The first dress was from Lorelai who I came across via Twitter. She has a lovely blog called Patterned Hearts. Her dress was made from a lovely floral fabric with white ties



A gorgeous parcel also arrived from Emer in Ireland containing 5 dresses! You can find her lovely blog here. Dress one was a lovely blue and white fabric with fab spotty handmade bias binding ties



Dress two, a very pretty vibrant orange and pink fabric again with spotty ties.



Dresses three and four were made from very pretty shimmery silk fabrics.



and dress five was pink with fairies all around. A perfect combination for a little girl!!


Thank you Lorelai and Emer. They are all gorgeous. x

4 comments:

  1. The dresses are lovely as they all have been. Your neice is very talented. I struggle to use a machine, always a battle and I generally lose! It's lovely when 'youngsters' get the bug. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly doesn't look as though she needs any help from a book! What a lot of talent in one so young! Has she tried the BurdaStyle website for free patterns and inspiration? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cogratulations Molly! I am impressed too! I am also on th hunt for sewing books aimed at teenagers (my daughter is 16)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!