Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Gone fishing..

I have to admit that when Izzy was a baby I used to watch a lot of daytime TV. I had a particular addiction to 'This Morning' (we already know about my fondness for Phillip Schofield!). I also loved Dr Chris Steele and avidly watched his health reports particularly those relating to children. It was through Dr Chris that I first remember hearing about the benefits of Omega 3 fish oil supplements for both adults and children. In typical first time mum fashion I decided that my children clearly wouldn't need supplements because I would prepare a diet full of oily fish that my perfect children would eat without complaint!! What did I know? Fast forward 5 years and I now have 2 children and no they don't lots of oily fish. A bit of Tuna maybe but certainly no sardines, kippers, mackerel and herrings (the fish with all the good oils!). One because I don't eat much oily fish myself so I don't really know how to cook it and two because when I have tried my children just don't like the strong taste.

I've continued to read about the benefits of omega 3 fish oils. As both a parent and a social worker working with children, I have always been interested in the effect it is said to have on brain development generally and in particular on children who have difficulties with concentration etc so when I was contacted and given the opportunity to test and review some omega 3 fish oil supplements that are specifially designed for children I was really interested. Its not something I would  generally review on my blog as its impossible for me to prove the benefits or not but on a personal  level I was interested to see if Izzy would take them as all of the information I came across was so positive about the benefits. There is a Dr Chris Steele video here on the benefits of  omega 3 fish oils and further information on his website. There is also an interesting article by Robert Winston here.

Healthspan very kindly sent me a box of Brain Boosters to try. They are Omega 3 fish oil supplements that are high in the essential fatty acids DHA and EPA and are especially designed for children over the age of 3. A box of 120 costs £9.95 with free postage and packing. Children need to take 2  per day so a box would last 2 months. Brain Boosters are small capsules full of orange flavoured fish oil that 'burst' when you chew them.
Sadly despite all of the health benefits, I have to admit that Izzy wasn't particularly keen on the capsules. I think she was expecting a chewy sweet rather than the 'burst' sensation and the problem with 5 year olds is that once they decide they don't like something you can't change their minds. I think that this is just an age thing though and slightly older children would probably love them. Its such a shame as I am really convinced of the health benefits now given the research I have done and not just for children. Have a look at the Healthspan website for more information.

3 comments:

  1. I TRIED FOR YEARS TO GET MY CHILDREN TO TAKE MULTI VITS AND FISH OIL, THE ONLY ONES THEY WOULD HAVE WERE JELLY BABIES MULTI VITS.
    I UNDERSTAND THE BENIFITS FOR FISH OILS ARE IN SOME CASES VERY GOOD, MAYBE THEY SHOULD BE FREE FOR SUCH CHILDREN ?
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they really brain boosters? I have read lots of positive and negative articles about omega-3 fish oil. Is it for real that it works?
    -Fish Oil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, The research that I found was all very positive. I guess people need to do their own research before making a decision for themselves though.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!