Tuesday, 22 February 2011

What books do you remember from childhood?

I have just found out that its World Book Day on 3 March and as the next meeting of my drunken mums reading group is on Friday, it seemed like a really good time to check out The Book Aid International website to see what events were going on, how I could get involved and maybe get some good suggestions for the next book for our reading group.  Book Aid International is a charity which increases access to books and supports literacy, education and development in sub-Saharan Africa. They provided 507,787 new books to over 2,000 libraries last year alone and have sent more than 30 million books to partner libraries since 1954.  Thats pretty amazing!

I've decide to make our reading group on Friday a 'Make Talk, Give' event


You basically get some friends together to talk about a book and ask everyone for a small donation for Book Aid International. I've asked my reading group to donate £2 each. Each £2 will pay for a book to be sent abroad to schools, orphanages, refugee camps, prisons, universities, communities etc.  The website also has lots of suggestions of ways that preschool and school age children can get involved in National Book Day. Click on the links to have a look. There is also a blog.

It also got me thinking about my favourite books from childhood. I have blogged before about my love of Enid Blyton. I'm sure that I am still emotionally damaged by the fact I wasn't sent to boarding school a la Mallory Towers and St Claires as a child!! My other love though was pony books. I was obsessed by ponies and horses generally and was lucky enough (after many years of begging and pleading!) to have my own pony. I devoured these books and read hundreds of them. The one I remember the most though is


I can still vividly remember reading this book as a teenager. Its about a young girl who wants to learn to ride but can't afford her own horse. She befriends an elderly man who lets her ride his horse and they become very successful at showjumping. When the old man dies, he leaves her the horse in his will but (and this really upset me when I was younger) she has to sell the horse as she can't afford to keep it. No sugary ending where everyone lives happily ever after unlike all the other pony books. It was a real shock to me that this could happen, a realisation that the world is not always fair and that not everyone gets what they want in life.

I asked Jon which book he remembered from childhood and he choose the book below. I've never heard of it. Its was obviously a boy thing.............

 
Sam's choice was


He is OBSESSED with this book and Izzy's choice was

This book has beautiful illustrations inside and was a bargain from a local charity shop.

What were your favourite books as children?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your post Louise, and for making your next book club meeting a Meet Talk Give one, that's great! Love your choices of books (I was a huge fan of Enid Blyton too and much lamented not being sent to boarding school / the land of midnight feasts and after dark expeditions!) Barn on Fire looks just like a book my two year old boy would very much like. Are there fire engines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, where do I start? I loved Enid Blyton too and I also loved the Chalet School series, I even made my parents detour to Innsbruck on a European trip (nowhere near Innsbruck) after reading them. Plus the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables...I could go on for pages actually. (My local library made a special exception for me and issued me with 5 tickets instead of the normal 2 to help cope with my reading addiction)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm when I was really little it was Topsy and Tim, Spot the dog and Kipper then as I got older Where's Wally (I know it's not really a reading book but never mind) Famous 5 and anything by Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton or Jaqueline Wilson. Ooo and Harry Potter! Happy days lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite was and still is: ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. Actually collect different versions of this book.
    Love them all in the set and the last 2 are really hard to get here so when heard my Mother in Law was planning a once in lifetime trip to Canada I gave her a list and she brought them back with her. Best gift EVER.
    {Dab and a dash.}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I was a huge Enid Blyton fan and read the Malory Towers/St Claires books over and over. I know that my 9 year old niece is now loving these and she too wants to be sent to boarding school!!

    I also loved the Famous 5 but I never got into the Secret 7 series at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enid Blyton for me too! Mallory Towers, Famous Five, The Magic Faraway Tree. Liked Narnia books as well and those books where you choose your own adventure. I used to love those and tried writing some of my own too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many, but I used to read The Little Princess over and over x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!