Thursday, 3 February 2011

So thats why my sewing machine hates me...

Last year I blogged about why I thought my sewing machine hated me. Last night in a fit of boredom and to put off actually having to make something in my usual procrastinating way, I decided to clean my sewing machine. As in actually take it apart and look inside its inner workings and clean it and this is what I found....


Yes that is dust inside my sewing machine. I'm not surprised my sewing machine hates me! That is serious neglect. No wonder it never feels like it is running smoothly. It could barely breathe under the weight of that dust let alone sew gracefully. I used the little brush thing you get with your sewing machine and this came out


Oh dear! I think the problem is that I make lots of bibs which are backed with towelling fabric and bits come off the towelling fabric all the time and clearly clog up the sewing machine. So my sewing machine is all ready to go now - we wait to see if I am forgiven and we are now friends. 

Who else is up for cleaning their machines and showing the evidence??

15 comments:

  1. This made me laugh! My husband dismantled my machine a few weeks ago as he was so fed up with my moaning and the results were exactly the same. I hang my head in shame. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll clean mine but I've only had it a month so its (hopefully) not too bad. I'll give it a go though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the same whenever I clean mine. You should see what comes out of the serger though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound of running feet as I scuttle off to check inside my sewing machine ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cos I use mine daily mine needs cleaning rather more regularly and couldn't afford to let mine get too clogged up but I do have a pile like that on a regular basis :-)
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like emptying the little box under my embellishing machine. Its always full of little woolly "caterpillars". I keep thinking I should embellish them onto something just for fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I cleaned mine last week with exactly the same results! I sew a lot with minky which sheds like mad. The belated new years resolution is to clean it every month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh well! It's done now!
    Jille x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I clean mine if I've not used it for a while as its got no cover. Yep it gets full of lint like that. I use a childs paint brush to gets to bits I can't reach. Have even been known to oil my machine!!!! Once in 15 years isn't bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooops didn't think of doing that!! That's probrably why it doesn't run as smoothly as it should, Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, so THAT'S what that little brush is for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cleaned mine recently and it was much the same as yours! Trying to do it a bit more regularly now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently cleaned and oiled my machine, for the first time in years...I was amazed at the amount fluff that came out of it, and how much better it runs now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I realize this post is a couple of years old; but if you sew with fleece, burlap and any type of fun fur invest in the small computer kit that attaches to your vacuum cleaner. You dont really want to keep blowing all the stuff up into your machine and cause more trouble. Dont want to bring out the household vacuum, hit the yard sales and flea markets and by the hand held then stick it in a bag in closet and pull it out at least once a month to use. Make sure it as some really good suction power before buying them. I 've gone through three of them in 35 year,s . Oh, and your serger should at least be spot cleaned after every project. Dont forget to oil your serger, Look at your manual to find the spots where to oil them and they will server you a lifetime, even the cheap one.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!