Sunday, 27 February 2011

My life in fabric

I can sum up my Friday night in (rather lovely!) fabric (which you can buy here)






Yes it was the meeting of the reading group. Sadly a few of the group couldn't make it this time so we were smaller than usual but the dedicated drinkers readers amongst us met to discuss and debate and drink and gossip.  Oh and we also donated £2 each to Book Aid International for their 'Meet, Talk, Give' appeal meaning that 6 books will be sent to people who need them in Africa. (I have to admit to having a slight hangover the next day after a few glasses of vino!)

We were discussing One Day by David Nicholls. The general concensus was that it was an enjoyable book but not mindblowing in any way. We were all slightly annoyed by the main characters and I am clearly stone hearted as I didn't shed a tear at the shock ending unlike most of the group! Have you read it? If so what did you think?

We've now selected the next book which will be




 We are meeting again on 1 April so not long to read it!

Something that did bring a tear to my eye was reading about the Threads of Feeling exhibition at The Foundling Museum in Sew Hip Magazine this month. In the 18th century, women who were unable to look after their new born babies because of poverty or circumstance would leave them at the Foundling Hospital. More than 4,000 babies were left between 1741 and 1760. Mothers were asked to leave a small object or token, usually a piece of fabric, to be kept as an identifying record in case they were ever able to come back for their children. The fabric was either provided by the mother or cut from the child’s clothing and provide a real insight into the fashions and fabrics of the time.
 
These pieces of fabric and their corresponding records tell us all about the individual babies, their mothers and their lives.Sadly many of the babies died at an early age but a few were eventually reunited with their mothers. 


Many of the babies were accompanied by hearts of some description. Fabric printed with hearts, hand embroidered hearts or hearts simply cut out of paper. One baby had a piece of patchwork with a hand stitched heart which had been cut into two. One remained with the baby and one with the mother. I really wish I could attend this exhibition. It really sounds amazing and heartbreaking at the same time.


On a lighter note I'm sat typing this whilst watching Dancing on Ice. Am I still alone in my inappropriate crush on Christopher Dean??!!

9 comments:

  1. Lol! Are you still drunk woman! A crush on CD! lol!

    I am off to watch it too, got it sky plussed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This exhibition looks fantastic and I wish I'd known about it sooner (really must pay more attention to the real world!) but I'll try and get up there next weekend before it closes ...

    On a more serious note, you should know that you are totally alone in your crush on Christopher Dean ...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tempted by that exhibition, will take the tissues if I go though! Re Christopher Dean, laughing out loud here, but I did shed a tear when they got their perfect 6's :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh the exhibition sounds amazing...and heatrbreaking.
    Cant wait to read your opinions on the room it's a book i looked at buying recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that exhibition sounds heartbreaking and fascinating. I'd love to visit. Your reading group look like a great bunch - thanks so much for making your last meeting a Meet Talk Give one - 6 books to Africa is fantastic!

    Christopher Dean. I have no words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. would love to have seen the exhibition, if only i lived closer.
    i read one day over christmas and was similarly disappointed. it seemed like such an unneccesssarily gloomy twist in an otherwise enjoyable and lighthearted love story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of having a book club, especially involving wine! I saw the book 'Room' in Waterstones the other day and it looked very good. Also the fabric remnants are very poignant and beautiful. B:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,

    I've given you a 'Stylish Blogger Award' because I just love reading your blog. Check out the rules here: http://delicatesparkles.blogspot.com/2011/03/after-being-nominated-for-stylish.html

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. The exhibition sounds really interesting, but so sad x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!