Monday, 18 October 2010

Appreciating what you get

Jon is 40 in a weeks time so I figured that I needed a day out shopping to get him some presents (or at least thats what I told him!). The reality was I ended up fabric and clothes shopping. Check out this gorgeous fabric...




I also got a bit carried away buying bits for Christmas stockings. There are just such lovely things around for girls. I'm not usually this organised believe me but I couldn't resist these little lovelies...


A cute little retro tin for Izzy's growing button collection


Cute little cupcake hooks


Who could resist a Charlie and Lola hot water bottle??


This cute little wooden tree with little hooks will be perfect for all Izzy's necklaces and bracelets.


Couldn't resist a little fan for 2 quid!


and there was much oohing and aahing over these cute little lip glosses and the gorgeous tape measure.

I did buy some stuff for Sam too - honest! - its just that boys stuff isn't as cute. As I put it all away for Christmas, it really started me thinking how lucky I am to be able to buy things like this for my children and how fortunate they are to receive so much. I really struggle sometimes with the amount of things that they receive for birthdays and Christmas. I want them to appreciate what they are given and really look after their special toys but I'm not sure that they do in the same way that I did when I was young. We weren't poor by any means but there wasn't lots of spare money so Christmas and birthdays would mean one big present that you really really wanted (and often saved up and contributed towards). We would get lots of little stocking presents too but we really did appreciate the big special present. I think in past years Jon adn I have got a bit carried away and bought too much for Izzy and Sam meaning that special presents aren't that 'special' if that makes sense?? They get bored very quickly with things whereas we would play with things for years. What do you think? Do children get too much nowadays?

Izzy's school are doing the shoe box appeal this year I noticed so I've started filling a shoe box with presents to send off and next week I will talk to Izzy about it and what it means for the children who receive it.


If you would also like to take part in the shoebox appeal please look at this link to find out how you can get involved. There will usually be a collection point nearby. Also if you could display one of their banners on your blog that would be fab! We are also a birthday buddy to a little girl who lives an orphanage in South Africa through project primrose so again this will be a good opportunity to talk to Izzy about how other people live. Click here if you would like more info on being a birthday buddy.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a load of lovely gifts. Your little girl is going to love her stocking on Christmas morning!

    What a fantastic project! Love the idea for the shoebox. Christmas is a time when we really do treat our loved ones so its lovely that other children who are from completely different worlds get a lovely box full of treats too.

    www.mrsshilts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the birthday buddy, it is completely new to me. The christmas shoe box is always a favourite of mine.

    I love all the bits you got for your daughters stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link, I am now a birthday buddy to two 15 year old girls!! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie - that is FANTASTIC!!! I feel all warm and fuzzy now!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!