Wednesday, 5 May 2010

The perils of being a working mum

3 weeks in to my new job and I'm now experiencing what its like being a working mum. Stressful! Sam developed a cough last night and was slightly wheezy when he woke up this morning. Jon was away in London so I had to decide whether to go to work and leave him with my very capable childminder Katy (who is also my cousin) or not go to work in case it got worse and we ended up in the hospital again. Typically I had a meeting that I really needed to attend so I decided to go as Katy knows what to look out for when Sam is wheezy and 9 out of 10 times he is fine and the doctors don't do anything. Halfway through my meeting I had to leave to take a call as Sam's breathing was quite rapid so Katy wanted to get him checked out by the GP. He was still really cheerful so we agreed I didn't need to rush home but that I would wait until she had seen the GP first. Sods law the GP appointment was exactly the same time that Izzy finishes pre school so I had to organise a friend to collect Izzy and then wait for news about Sam. Luckily Sam was ok. Hes been given a different inhaler, antibiotics and is on steroids for 5 days but no hospital visit thank goodness. Work  were lovely about it but I came home feeling completely rubbish. I felt guilty for not being around for Sam when he was poorly although I did come home early and spend the afternoon with him. I felt bad for constantly interupting the meeting I was involved in to take calls and being slightly distracted and I felt bad for leaving Katy to deal with it. Basically it doesn't feel like I did anything very well today - being a mum, employee or employer. One of my friends said I would have days like this. I guess its called being a working mum. Its bloody stressful!

8 comments:

  1. Hello. I agree with you . I am mum of 3 ,and sometimes it can be more than stressful. Unfortunately for me , i needed to leave work and stay at home with little ones. But anyway keep on going , will get hang of it. I hope i will get back to work ,latest by next spring.
    On a happy note-love your blog and creations. Keep up the good work : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog and all you make. Being a working Mum will be hard at times. I used to be a childminder and know what it's like from the other side. As long as your work is supporting and understanding it should work but it's early days for you as yet so just go with the flow.
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what sometimes we have to just muddle through best we can. I spend half my life feeling guilty as when I'm at work I really cannot leave unless it is a life or death situation (I'm a neonatal intensive care nurse) Mr. G takes all calls from school re poorly children and then he or my mum have to see to them, its awful when I get home and one of my babies needed me and I wasn't there. I've recently reduced my hours at work after a run of illness/schooling problems with my daughter so am hoping that it will be easier now! Chin up I'm sure it will work out eventually! Justine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get many days like this. And feel so bad about it, as if I can't get anything right - it also means that you never really get a break, trying to catch up with both work and being a parent in the evening.
    I keep telling myself that I can only do my best, but I also have the guilt - towards my employer, my colleagues, my daughter etc. It's not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar thing last week - had to leave work normal time (well, a bit late) while everyone else was still slaving away to get a project finished, to pick up my little boy from nursery. So I arrived late to pick him up, and felt like a bad mummy as he threw his arms around me as if I'd been away for years! I also felt like a bad employee as I'd left while everyone else was still working!

    Sadly it doesn't seem possible to be brilliant at everything although I'm sure we'll all keep trying. Thank goodness for the escapism of the sewing machine of an evening.... glad Sam was okay. Keep blogging (if you can fit it in with work and being a supermum!) xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to say I am so glad Sam is OK. Ask your GP for an emergecy pack. I have one for Robbie and also one for mum, each contains sterids and anti'bs. Starting them as soon as possible helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 從人生中拿走友誼,猶如從生活中移走陽光........................................

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs. Not looking forward togoing back to work myself, luckily i've got a while as baby due in 5 months but it's going to happen eventually and i'm going have to figure all this out. Well done you.
    xx Christals Creations

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!