Saturday, 8 May 2010

The big makeover!

I'm really lucky that I have a room to do my sewing in. Its basically the spare bedroom and although we have the odd family and friends staying over, most of the time its mine and I can use the space for my sewing things. It was always a bit of a mess as it didn't have much storage and I'm not the tidiest person in the world so as a present for my 40th Jon bought me some new furniture and I decided to re-organise it. There are a few things still to do but its pretty much finished so I thought I'd share some before and after photos.

Before.....


and after...



The book shelf and sewing table were all from IKEA. The glass table top is really lovely and my photos don't do it justice. Its black with a flower and butterfly design all over it. I'm really pleased with it. The only annoying thing about the room is this



A really annoying avocado coloured sink in the space just where I want the sewing table to go. I've managed to persuade Jon that it has to go as nobody has used it for 3 years and its really in the way. Just need to get a plumber round now.

A couple of things I love in my room

This was my grandma's sewing box. I loved it when I was a child and was desperate to have it. It was left to me when she died and I'm sorry to say that as a teenager and in my 20's it was chucked in a cupboard somewhere and very unloved. Now I have reclaimed it and I love the fact my grandma used to use it on a regular basis. She was a great sewer and amazing knitter.


Wasn't sure what to do about ribbon storage. This is my home made attempt using an old embroidery hoop.


and this is the super duper 'ribbon ring' that I bought myself


Lots of lovely Cath Kidston birthday pressies and my lovely books all stacked up ready to inspire me!

More photos to follow soon.......

24 comments:

  1. Oh - now I'm really jealous. That was very naughty of you when you know I'm the wandering crafter! I live in hope (would need a lottery win before I can have a craft room). It looks fab, and I love your book collection. Thanks for sharing it with us, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh it looks lovely. The shelves look gorgeous. It must feel so much nicer now everything is organised!? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Well done on tidying up . I love those CK goodies . It is fab. I shall go and tidy up my corner too : ) Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how lovely! I have my sewing machine out in the kitchen/diner.All my fabric, books, etc are in the corner of the living room stacked on and under a small square table.Can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have a proper sewing room and yes, once that sink goes, it is going to be perfect. So neat and tidy and I bet seeing everything in all its colours lined up must make you feel all inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new sewing room and especially the shelf. It looks very organized, I wish I had room to myself for all my sewing stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Worth the wait - it's so much more inspiring to have an organised creative space isn't it?! What's your first project for the new craft room? Lucy xox PS I did chuckle at your reference to odd friends and relatives coming to stay - do they know they're odd? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks lovely, I'm sooooo jealous! I have to make do with a tiny corner in the living room, with all my fabric and bits stacked in bags and boxes, stored down the side of the sofa. Love your books and Cath Kidston bits, I'd love more, everything she does is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your space and I bet it inspires you to make lots of lovely items....

    Beverley x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. . .
    Very jealous. That table is beautiful!

    Christals Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is super. You will be so organised now, projects will fly off the production line...then again you might not want to mess it up at all and just sit and look at it...ummm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful and so organised xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the room it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sewing room looks great I love it! I'm sooo jealous, Justine x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That all looks really great but surely far too tidy to be a sewing room! Only joking. It feels so great when its all tidy and organised, doesn't it. If only I could keep my room tidy, then I might be able to find everything
    Viv
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks fab! just off to tidy my sewing room... K xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow that is really gorgeous. I really love all your new storage and you have set it all out so prettily. I spy some really lovely fabrics.
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it all!! I want to come and move in :D And the sewing box that was your grandmothers is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH MY GOODNESS!!
    Right, I am off now to move the boys into a room together, so I can have a sewing room too!
    You have such lovely things. GORGEOUS! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Grandma's sewing box is beautiful - lucky you! She will be so thrilled to know it has pride of place in your super room!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I found your blog via Debbie's Country Heart & Home :)

    Love your newly organised room.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your space is lovely - I love the glass desk top. Your grandma's sewing box looks a real treasure - how lovely that you are now using it on a daily basis too! Hope you have many happy hours sewing in your special space x

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your sewing room!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I must have missed this post when you did it! It all looks lovely. I have those shelves from Ikea too, SO handy. Glad to see the little jars being put to use, I still have tons more if you'd like some. Has the sink gone yet? I have an equally annoying one in my bedroom - it's pink! I have never been able to remove it seeing as we are renting, so it's half hidden behind the clothes rail!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!