Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Cancer

Last week my Auntie Carole died from pancreatic cancer. She was only 67. The funeral is tomorrow so its going to be a difficult day particularly for her children and my mum (her sister). Several blogs caught my eye this week because they are doing fantastic things to help cancer sufferers so I thought I would give them a mention. Abby from Mutterings from the Moor has made one of her gorgeous teddy bears in a pink ribbon fabric and is raffling it off to raise money for Cancer Research.


You just need to go to her Just Giving page and make a donation to be entered into the draw. There will be lots of other prizes too. The minimum donation is only a pound so if this cause is close to your heart then check out Abby's blog for more info. I'm also going to donate something to the raffle - just not sure what yet!

Another blog that caught my eye this week was Flossie Teacakes who has put together a pattern and tutorial for making a 'wiggly bag' which helps young cancer sufferers who have to have a central line during their treatment. The bags hold the central line (which gives medicines and takes blood without the need for needles) and stops the line (the wiggly) from getting dirty or pulled during play.


A child will often have their line with them on a constant basis for around 18 months and so the wiggly bag that holds it becomes.a big part of their daily life and the child will often become very attached to it. Bags are needed for children of all ages, from toddlers to teenagers and there is a real need for bags that teenagers will be happy to wear. If you fancy getting involved check out Flossie Teacakes blog or the Liberty Rose Trust.


It would be great if people could blog or tweet about these things too. The more people we can get involved the more help we can give these two charities.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. We have a young friend who desperately needs a bone marrow transplant as she has Hodgkins Lymphona so this is very close to my heart at the moment. Unfortunately there is no match at present. I wrote about this on my blog at http://www.woollylakes.blogspot.com if people want to see how they can help.

    Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope tomorrow isn't too painful hun.
    Hugs sent. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family are in my thoughts and I will check out those blogs to see where I can help. My brother died of bowel cancer a few years ago and I usually do the Race for Life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of hugs for today. I have been a cancer patient all my memorable life and have lost many friends including the sister who first cared for me as a wee one on the peadiactric unit. (Irony in in truest form).
    It's never gets any easier but the pain does fade.
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for posting this Louise. It's only been about 5 days but we've already raised nearly £150! I'm so thrilled.

    Hope the funeral goes ok.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!