Saturday, 13 February 2010

Fairy Wings

Another post on the Folksy forum yesterday made me stop and think about how lucky I am. This Folksy sellers friend supports an orphanage in South Africa and is due to visit shortly. She wants to give the children a surprise fairy themed party when she is there and needs to collect 96 pairs of fairy wings to take with her so each child gets a pair. This really captured my imagination so I had a look at the website for Project Primrose to find out more. This orphanage which is run by volunteers supports nearly 100 orphaned children in one of the poorest parts of South Africa from very young babies to teenage children. Many having been affected by Aids, cancer, malnutrition, abuse or neglect. Its good to be reminded sometimes about how lucky we are and how much we have in this country. I wasn't sure how to make angel wings so I ended up in Asda today and found these



and some mini fairy wands




so these will be winging their way to South Africa and hopefully putting a smile on a childs face. If you can help by donating some fairy wings (old or new) then please let me know and I will pass on the details. I have also decided to become a 'birthday buddy' to one of the children. You 'choose' a child on the list and agree to send them birthday and Christmas gifts and maybe the odd letter. Its heartbreaking having to choose a child from a list but I decided to choose a girl with a similar birthday and of a similar age to Izzy. We can choose the present together each year and it will good to talk about what we are doing and how unfair the world is sometimes. If this interests you please see here. Sometimes little things can make a big difference. 

3 comments:

  1. What a great cause and a lovely idea.
    Rachael XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've won, you've won, you've won!! Hetty the cat is yours!

    http://dizzyizzyhandmade.blogspot.com/

    Helen
    x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!