Friday, 11 December 2009

Only 15 to go

I'm up to 55 presents for my present challenge! Jen at TheMadHouse has been very kind and sent me the most gorgeous tea cup candle for my mums birthday. It is so pretty and comes with a saucer and a little plate. I really don't want to give it away - I will just have to sit and admire it until Christmas day!!




Not only did I receive the candle but also a very cute little handmade stocking AND some little chocolates. Izzy's face lit up when she saw these. How generous is that?



I've just read the latest post from Jen's blog and she had been flooded tonight so please cheer her up by checking out her blog. Its one of my favourites and a great read. Thanks so much and I hope things get better very soon.

I've got some lovely photos of Izzy and Sam from pre school and play group framed for my mum this week and also bought a memory book for my mum to complete. I realised the other day how little I really know about my family history on my mums side. I was talking to my great aunt (my gran's sister) about the photo album of my mums life I am trying to put together and whether she had any old photos that I could use. She said that she did and that she was really cross because she had mislaid a very important photo of 'Edward'. I had never heard of Edward and asked who he was. She told me that Edward was the first born child of my great grandmother (her brother). He had died aged 10 months in the flu  pandemic of 1919 and the photo is the only one that exists of him. My great grandfather who was in the army only saw him once before being posted to Africa. Several months after Edwards death my great grandmother received a letter enclosing some money. My great grandfather had saved for months to send some money home 'for the baby' not knowing that he had died. I had no idea this had happened and can't imagine how they must have felt being in different parts of the world with no way of contacting each other. Its such a sad story that I keep thinking about it. I wonder what other family secrets I don't know...

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it and I hope you mum will too. We are all fine today, things look much better in the light of day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww what a sad tale! At least now you know the story, you can pass it onto Izzie and Sam, and Edward will not become a forgotten baby! x K

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...