Saturday, 25 July 2009

My head hurts!

Last night I went out for a few drinks with some 'mum' friends and I realised that I have become a complete lightweight. I only had 3 beers but I'm feeling slightly delicate today. I must have been slightly drunk as I seem to remember offering to set up and organise a reading group. I NEVER normally offer to organise anything. However I feel that my brain is turning to mush at the moment and it would be good to start reading again and actually have to have an opinion on something! My friend told me thats it actually really easy to start one and your library will order in upto 20 copies of your chosen book so that you can distribute them to your group. You then give people a period of time to read them and then get together to discuss (and drink wine!). So I'm doing it - I've chosen the first book already. Its 'We need to talk about Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. Its quite a disturbing book by all accounts and will definatley get a reaction from a group of mums which is why I have chosen it. Got me thinking about whether you could have a virtual reading group via a blog?? Anyone interested in reading this book and commenting on it at a later date on my blog?? Anyway better go and text my friends to find out who remembers agreeing to join the group and who still actually wants to do it!


Check out this gorgeous necklace that my friend Debi made for me. Its not even my birthday! She has been experimenting with glass cabouchons(?) and decided to give one to me as a present. I love it!! I'm not a great jewellery wearer generally but I love this because its so delicate and understated and just really pretty. I give her a tin of squid (see earlier post) and she gives me a lovely necklace. Seems like a fair exchange to me!!

Isabella's new favourite phrase this week has been 'mummy I love you and you are so pretty'. How lovely I thought with a tear in my eye until I realised that it is always followed 2 minutes later by 'Please can I have .....chocolate/sweets/crisps/a special treat. Three year olds are very clever!

5 comments:

  1. That book is BRILLIANT in a really disturbing way (a bit like reading The Lovely Bones - darkly compelling). I'd join if I lived nearer. Good luck with your new reading group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was pregnant with my first my lovely husband bought me a bunch of baby/child related books. 'We Need to Talk about Kevin' was one of them (others included one with a baby that died and another a baby that was kidnapped). I was terrified. But it's the thought that counts, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can definitely do a virtual book club - we have one on a gardening board I'm on and each month we pick a planty-related book to read. It's a good way of finding out about authors you'd otherwise never have heard of. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The necklace your friend made you is gorgeous!! What a beautiful piece! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your head is feeling better? I know how you feel one glass of 'small' wine and I'm a gonna!

    take care,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...