Friday, 3 July 2009

Diary of a pattern tester - DAY 1

1) Buy really expensive fabric. Throw caution to the wind. It doesn't matter that you've never made anything from a pattern before and should really practice on fabric thats not £10 a metre. No it will all be fine.


2) Wait for the postman to bring the pattern. Much excitment all round when it arrives.




3) Cut out fabric pieces as per tutorial instructions. Start doubting expensive fabric choices and whether they actually go together.



4) Make sensible decision not to rush and bodge it up like usual. Wait until tomorrow to start next stage......

Its so exciting!!

p.s Happy Birthday to my lovely friend Debi!

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I've done that too. I paid £21 a meter for gorgeous fabric to recover an armchair. I arrived home all excited, laid out the fabric, removed all the fabric covered section of the chair, looked at the for a minute and then put all the fabric covered bits back on the chair, folded the fabric and made a cup of tea.

    That was almost two years ago:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband used to sell fabric, dress and curtain, so I was alway 'borrowing' lengths from the garage.
    I have not done any dress/curtain making for about 5 years and now after seeing this blog I am itching to have a go....I wish I had not thrown away all of my old patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I hear you! I bought some silk dupion for M's birthday dress (silk for a two year old?!) and haven't used it yet... Good luck with today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh - I see you've had the scissors out - did you need to take a really deep breath before the cut or did you cut and the panic afterwards! I think the two fabrics look lovely together, can't wait to see the finished piece

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - they do look lovely together! I'm the same though - I've got a gorgeous length of burnt orange thai silk that I've been meaning to make into a dress for years and I'm too scared to make that first cut!!

    You've inspired me to get the sewing machine out again though so it can't be all bad :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!